Call Us Now: 0800 888 388
EnglishEnglish ChineseChinese KoreanKorean

Mould in Your Home

Mould is commonly seen in damp areas such as basements and bathrooms, and can also grow within a building's structure. Growth is fostered by moisture, especially following floods and water leaks. The main problem is the inhalation of mycotoxins. After a flood or major leak, mycotoxin levels are higher in the building, even after it has dried out.

There are three types of mould:

  • Allergenic: such as Aspergillus, which may affect people who have allergies or asthma.
  • Pathogenic: such as Stachybotrys, Cladosporium and Aspergillus, which can cause serious health effects, particularly in infants, the elderly, and those who have compromised immune systems.
  • Toxigenic: such as Stachybotrys, which can cause serious health effects in almost anybody.

Moulds excrete the substance lipopolysaccharide (LPS) which is a mycotoxin. This takes the form of a fine dust which permeates the air, and all porous surfaces within the room. Many people complain of headaches, dry mouth and throat, and sore eyes from living or working in air-conditioned rooms. People assume this discomfort is due to the drier air - it is not. It is the organic dust entering the airway and causing allergic reactions. Using Healthaire SUPER VENTILATION to drive clean, filtered (99.9% effective at sizes of 1 micron and 80% effective at 0.2 microns) air into the affected area, the airborne organic dust and spores are expelled, and the damp conditions are eliminated which prevents regrowth.